According to Accounting Act B.E.2543 and Accounting Profession Act B.E.2547
Is the person who prepares the accounting for persons who are responsible for accounting and he or she may be able to be the employee of the persons who are responsible for accounting. The accountant is the person as follows :
(1) In case of the employee of persons who are responsible for accounting :
- Director of Accounting Department, chief accountant, head of account unit or person
who is in the position with other names but possessing the same responsibilities as persons mentioned above.
(2.) In case of accounting office :
- Head of Office in case that the office is not established as group of persons
- Partners responsible for accounting service in case that the office is established as group of persons
- Director or partner responsible for accounting service in case that the office is not established as juristic person
(3) In case of being the freelance accountant, he / she is the person who conduct such profession.
(4) Assistant Accountant (In case that the accountant prepares accounting for more than 100 customers according to the notification of the Department of Commercial Registration Re : The identification of qualifications and conditions for accountant B.E.2543, Clause 7 (3)).
- Prepare account to demonstrate the business performance, financial status or the change of financial status of the persons who are responsible for accounting according to the fact and accounting standard with complete and accurate attachments (Section 20).
- Post the account in Thai language. If posting in foreign language, shall have Thai language, and if posting in account code, shall translate account code into Thai language (section 21 (1)).
- Write with ink, print or publish or perform other methods to have the same results (section 21 (2)).
Qualification and Condition for Accountant
- Have registered address in the Kingdom of Thailand
- Have sufficient knowledge of Thai language for accounting
- Have never been imprisoned by the guilty according to the accounting law or auditing law
or accounting profession law, except they have been freed from the penalty for at least 3 years.
According to Size of Business identified
- Bachelor of Accounting or equivalent for every type of business
- High Vocational Certificate (Accounting) or Diploma (Accounting) for company limited and registered partnership with
- capital of no more than 5 million Baht
- Total income of no more than 30 million Baht
- Total Asset for no more than 30 million Baht
- For ordinary person, if the owner of the business does not prepare the accounting by him / herself, he /she does not need to identify the educational level for accountant but if he / she employs other persons to prepare the accounting, the accountant must have the specified educational level.
- Inform the details according to Sor.Bor.Chor. 5 Form or Sor.Bor.Chor. 6 Form within 60 days from the date that
- The accounting starts
- The accountant has been changed
- Train accounting knowledge as specified
- Must prepare accounting for no more than 100 customers. If more than 100 customers, must have one assistant for every 100 additional customers (fraction 0f 100, if more than 50, must be counted as 100) according to the notification of the Department of Commercial Registration Re : The identification of qualifications and conditions for accountant B.E.2543, Clause 7 (3).
Registering to be Accountant
The accountant who has the qualification according to section 7 (6) of the Accounting Act B.E.2543, must inform and register to be accountant at the business supervision office or provincial business development office according to on ly one address or office of such accountant according to Sor.Bor.Chor. 5 Form with evidence within 60 days from the date that the accounting starts.
Informing the Change of Accountant’s Information and Informing the Development of Accounting Profession Knowledge for Every 3 Years
The Department of Business Development opens the service for the accountant to inform the additional and revocation of accounting business and inform the development of accounting profession knowledge for every 3 years via internet by him / herself so the accountant does not have to send the form to inform the additional or revocation of accounting business and the form to inform the development of accounting profession knowledge. Therefore, it is more convenient. The accountant must fill up the data in the form to inform the intention in order to obtain user ID and password with the Department of Business Development first. You can print the form from www.dbd.go.th, choose the department’s service, accounting and auditing, and choose to print the form according to the Accounting Act and submit the form to Business Supervision Office, Department of Business Development, 44/100 Nonthaburi 1 road, Bangkrasor Sub-district, Muang, Nonthaburi 11000 (Accountant’s Supervision).
Informing the change of accountant's data in other cases such as the change of name-surname, the change of educational level, etc., the accountant must inform in Sor.Bor.Chor.6 Form and attach the important documents and certify the copy according to the previous criteria identified. Informing the change of accountant's data must be within 60 days from the changing date.
The Development of Continuous Accounting Profession Knowledge for Every 3-Year Period
The accountant must attend the training for continuous accounting profession knowledge for every 3 years and in each period, there are at least 27 hours and it must be the activities with the accounting knowledge for at least 18 hours. Each year, the accountant must attend the training for at least 6 hours and the number of hours for every 3-year period shall be counted according to the calendar year starting from 1 January B.E.2548 onwards. In case that the accountant informs to be accountant to the Director after 1 January B.E.2548, shall count from 1 January of the following year that the accountant informs to be the accountant. Regarding the first period, the accountant can take the number of hours of training from the date that this notification has been effective or from the date that the accountant informs to be the accountant to the Director after 10 August B.E,2547, depending on the case and add such number with the number of hours of the first period.
Regarding informing the details of development of accountant’s continuous accounting profession knowledge, the accountant must inform within 60 days from the ending date of every calendar year and the accountant must store the evidence of development and training with him/ herself for at least 5 years from the ending date of the calendar year that the training finishes.
Applying to be the Mmember or Registering with the Federation of Accounting Profession
According to the Accounting Profession Act B.E.2547, section 44, it has identified that “Any persons are prohibited from conducting the accounting profession , except they are the members of Federation of Accounting Profession or register with Federation of Accounting Profession” with the following details.
The accountant must choose one of the following depending on the educational level. If registering with the Federation of Accounting Profession, the accountant must have the right to attend the meeting of the Federation of Accounting Profession, have the right to elect the President of Federation of Accounting Profession, have the right to be elected, and be appointed. However, regarding the registration, the accountant must not obtain such abovementioned right and the accountant can contact with the Federation of Accounting Profession at www.fap.or.th , telephone : 02-6688071-4, 02-6688535-8.